Our Teen DBT Program
- Comprehensive DBT includes the following components:
- Weekly individual therapy for the teen
- Parent coaching sessions: Ongoing frequency is determined after 2-3 initial parent sessions
- Phone coaching 7 days/week for teens and parents
- Weekly DBT Skills Class for teens and parents
- Weekly consultation group for all therapists on the DBT team.
- DBT Skills Class Only
- As an alternative to our Comprehensive DBT program, we open class enrollment to teens and parents who are meeting regularly with a mental health provider outside of Clearwater. We ask that this provider actively supports this adjunctive DBT intervention. All families interested in this option need to participate in a pre-enrollment 50-minute intake appointment with a lead skills class instructor. This intake costs $200 and covers materials for class. All classes cost $90/participant per week. For one participant the cost is $540 to attend one 6-week module. Payment is due at the time of enrollment. We do not contract with insurance companies. We will provide participants with an invoice at the end of each module to submit for an out-of-network reimbursement.
Overview of DBT Skills Classes:
- Skills classes for teens and their parents are formatted as a family intervention. The teen and one parent takes the class together as equal participants in the learning environment. The ratio in class is balanced equally between parents and teens. Co-parents can enroll in one of our weekly parent-only skills training classes. Classes meet weekly in a group setting with other families. The curriculum is divided into four 6-week modules. It is strongly encouraged that families complete the entire 24-week curriculum at least once, consistent with clinical research recommendations for optimal results. The four modules are briefly summarized below:
- Distress Tolerance: Crisis coping skills for high emotional distress
- Emotion Regulation: Skills to increase emotional resilience, effective problem solving, and exposure techniques
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Increasing relationship effectiveness, self-advocacy, and skillful requesting
- Middle Path: Skills to improve understanding, validation and communication within the family.
- Core DBT Mindfulness Skills are woven into each module
Our DBT Skills classes fill up very quickly. If you interested in enrollment in an upcoming module, please submit an online inquiry right away. Our enrollment process (i.e., initial inquiry, paperwork completion, intake appointment, enrollment confirmation) can take up to 3 weeks. Please plan accordingly to provide enough time for all steps.
For Teens (ages 13-18) and Families:
ALL CLASSES ARE CURRENTLY FULL FOR THE CURRENT AND MAY START DATES.
PLEASE NOTE: WE CLOSE OUR TEEN AND PARENT CLASSES IN JULY AND AUGUST 2022. CLASSES WILL RESUME IN SEPTEMBER 2022.
- Wednesdays (Zoom) from 5:00 to 7:00 with Karen Erickson, LMFT & Rachel Chapple, Ph.D. (enrollment is closed)
- Wednesdays (In-Person at the Hive) from 5:30 to 7:30 with Erika Swanson, Ph.D. and Esther Howe, M.A. (enrollment is closed)
- Thursdays (In-Person at the Hive) from 5:30 to 7:30: with Hilary Ferris White, LCSW & Laura Bell, M.A. (enrollment is closed)
For Younger Adolescents (ages 11-13) and Families:
ALL CLASSES ARE CURRENTLY FULL. PLEASE INQUIRE FOR ENROLLMENT IN THE MAY 2022 MODULE
- Wednesdays (In-Person at the Hive) from 5:30-7:00 pm with Hilary Ferris White, LCSW & Laura Bell, M.A. (enrollment is closed)
We are excited to be hold our in-person skills classes at Hive Oakland, a multi-use community space in downtown Oakland. For more information: https://hiveoakland.com
In-person skills classes are currently available for COVID19 vaccinated participants, with proof of vaccination record. As of March 30th, we will no longer require masks in class. This is subject to change at any time.
Parent-only Skills Classes – SPACE AVAILABLE
- Mondays (Zoom) from 5:30-7:00 pm with Karen Erickson, LMFT. Next entry point is April 11 (Middle Path)
- Thursdays (Zoom) from 5:30-7:00 pm with Karen Erickson, LMFT. Next entry point is April 14 (Middle Path)